Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Writing Alphabets & Numbers

It is interesting to understand how the school taught neha & nidhi to write numbers and alphabets. They can now write from A - R and from 1 - 10. I don't remember how I learnt to write them nor do my parents. And that is the reason for this post. I remember having sharpened (or should I say rounded :-)) my handwriting quite a bit on the good old "four line" books when I was about 10 years or so. So much so that my written text would look like an array of jilebis from far.

In the first two months at school, the kids were taught to recognise and draw basic geometric shapes like point, line (standing line, slanting line & sleeping line), circle, semi-circle, square, diamond. They were asked to trace the dotted line of pictures on their home work books.
After two months, it was assembly time:
1 = one standing line + one sleeping line
2 = one semi-circle + one sleeping line
3 = two semi-circles
4 = one standing line + one sleeping line + one slanting line
5 = sleeping line + small standing line + semi-circle
6 = semi-circle + go in
6 is interesting. So is the alphabet that resembles it - G
G = semi-circle + go in + come out

I guess they'll teach kids the upper case letters this year, lower case in LKG and cursive style in UKG.

My kids (like most other I've seen) write C inverted (like this - ) ). I tried to google out as to why kids do this but couldn't find. If somebody knows the answer, please post a reply. Here is my theory of why they do it :-)
C is one of the only two numbers or upper case letters that can be constructed using only one of the basic shapes - just a semi-circle. The other alphabet is O and you wouldn't know if your kid wrote a O or inverted O. Zero is similar to O and hence I discount it from this count. When kids have to assemble at least two shapes, they do it well; they become careless & overconfident when it is just one shape.

No comments: